Friday 24 February 2012

Unit 1.2.2

2.2 - Explain how to choose an employer in terms of own personal interests, knowledge, skills and job requirements.

When choosing an employer one has to be careful and take certain things into consideration before just leaping into another bland CV addition. As taking a job someone is not interested in will severely hinder ones motivation. If you don't have the passion for the job the knowledge won't be there as you will never truly absorb what you learn and the skills will never be developed.

 As we have learnt about things such as CPD (Continual Professional Development) you have to aim yourself towards your own life goals. Taking myself as an example I want to become (eventually) a filmmaker, this includes having the knowledge of film production, writing and editing (among countless others but bare with me). So me taking a job in say a packing warehouse would not be a good choice of employer to work towards my eventual targets.

As I am interested in creating my own original ideas perhaps a office job in corporate firms doing something like marketing would be right in one way but not fulfilling my creative needs.

In terms of what I want to do, employers would be chosen in their relevance to teaching me more about the aforementioned skills, So id be looking at things like editing suites or film production teams so I could gain more knowledge of working on a set.

So by thinking laterally about what someone wants to do you can narrow down the appropriate paths for your next job. This will allow you to find jobs that will develop your skills rather than find ones that merely make use of existing ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment