Tuesday 19 July 2011

My Trip to the National Theatre


THE NATIONAL THEATRE
 MARVEL...at this jpeg...
 National theatre trip

The backstage trip to the National Theatre was an all round enjoyable and facinating experience that I would reccomend anyone whos intrested in anything from theatre itsself to film production to take a look at, you really get a sense of how these fantastical productions are brought to the big stage. I myself didn't realise the preparation and effort but most of all the  amount of people who work backstage at the National theatre (over 1000?!? it still amazes me) and this for me was an eye-opening experience. Personal highlights would have been Learning about the stage elevalator from the 70's that could move sets was an incredible feat of engineering for its time as well as visiting the props room to see all the old props from different productions (I had always wondered what a props room would be like, I was not left dissapointed).  As well as seeing where they build the set backdrops, being able to see how they went from a model of a house to the finished article was very pleasing and my questions were answered throughly at this point by our charming guide. Any criticism I would have would be slight and would be that we didn't see anything like changing rooms for the stars of the shows (but due to the group size I know this would proabably be impossible) apart from that I found it a wholly educational experience and would think it would benefit anyone from an apprentice like me to just your fanatic theatre fan.
Also NT live is very interesting, take a look at their website to check out how they are bringing Theatre into the 10's!

Talking about NT live

The meeting with the Head of Art and the Head of Digital was really engaging they showed us how they were taking the age old practice of theatre and breathing new, digital life into it, using NT live in such a way that it allowed the form of theatre itself to be untouched but also distribute it via the internet and other methods to a much, MUCH wider audience. I can only applaud the vision and direction of this team to take Theatre to cinemas around the world to such a grand and well recieved reception as truely, a stroke of genius. The NT live team seem to have alot of ideas and insight into their industry and ways to adapt it into this modern technological world. I thought in particular the idea of creating online events for anniversarys of bigger shows streamed live through the internet was the most tantilising idea (to myself at least) even if that was only in its infancy. All in all I was impressed at the depth of how much they knew who their audience was and the best ways digitally and artistically to get these products to them without damaging or putting in jepordy the experience of theatre itself..

No comments:

Post a Comment