Wednesday 20 July 2011

My Digital life...

My digital life consists of using a variety of online and software programs almost autonomously. It has become essential to many everyday tasks mainly that of communication. Here on I shall show you (yes thats you mr/mrs reader) what I myself use on a regular basis.

Skype is an IM (instant messaging) service which allows you to IM,voice call or even video call (using webcams) anyone else using the skype service, It has recently been turned into an "app" and is used on most the smartphones on sale today.

My use of this includes video calling friends (see picture below) as I find this a much more personal way of communicating with people than other IM such as Facebook chat that tends to make people rude. Sending files using its handy 'send file' feature. Setting up a conference call with a few buddies from around the country. Other uses I employ skype for is using its voice chat function to use a background device for competitive gaming with a select group of "gaming friends" I have on my skype's friends list.

Images have been altered to protect the innocent.

Emails, where would anyone be today in the buisness world without the reliable old email. I tend to use Microsofts Hotmail service for my personal email and have most recently set up a Gmail (Google mail)account for my more buisness orientated side. I use this for emailing friends and family alike, sending files and other sensitive information as well as the advantage of using your email address to sign up to use other internet services such as Skype, Facebook and pretty much any other online service that will require you to use an Email address.


Webcams, I love the webcam my main exploits of using a webcam have been mentioned in Skype already but one other use I have for the humble webcam is slightly more hedonistic, the websites Chatroulette and Omegle websites that connect you to strangers who also have a webcam for a chat, Now not that I am in any way advocating this websites as they often are a great big waste of time but every now and again you are presented with a piece of sheer comedy gold from some randomer in another country. Its worth a look at least once jsut to see who else is online and has time to kill just as you do. WARNING: these websites are NOT for the faint of heart.

He was so ehtusiastic I just had to use him.

Facebook, This is how most people now days stay in touch, although I am often critical of this site for one reason or another I always end up lurking on this website, Its a social networking site much like Myspace before it and its contant updates and the fact that most people you  (yes, you!) know will be on there has rocketed it to the top of everyones search bar. Its a way of letting the people you have added know what you are up to either through either posting on thier walls to updating you status, nattering away on the Facebook chat IM feature, posting videos of you out and about or uploading that photo of you in you're best sexy pout pose.

My use of facebook is much like the above although I tend not to upload pictures and just let other people "tag" me in them, Although recently I have taken a slightly different approach of becoming a time travelling gentlemen from the 1900's named Reginald H Foresight. but when I tire of that it is just the occasional status update or link to something interesting I feel the people need to see.

A little snippit of ole' Reggie.
The above examples are just a tiny fraction of the technology I and most other people use on a day to day basis to connect, share and explore the far wide reaches of this life and the digital one.





2 comments:

  1. Omegle used to be hilarious, but since that whole tumblr incident happened on there a couple of months back, it is sort of hipster central.

    I assumed that you would be the Chatroulette kind of user. (I typed this before I actually read that you mentioned Chatroulette there.)

    Skype is exactly the same as MSN, but with better sound quality.

    This is quite a detailed post. Makes mine look a bit crummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. arrrrh you are so far ahead....I must start doing college work immediately! I'd done work and was feeling quite smug with myself until I got hit with the two unit deadline for Friday! of course none of the stuff I had done was included in that, its sods law personified!

    ReplyDelete