Thursday 1 September 2011

Reviews of Unit 8's

Joy Harrison

Joy chose the two subjects of Advertising and Film, No menial task I am sure you will agree as these are two of arguably the biggest media industries around and often the first to pop into the mind when those words of "Media" and "Industry" are spoken.

1.1: Advertising - She set about this quite informatively making sure there were plenty of examples for the reader to draw from experience to help them understand the context of what she was saying. Something my own work could use more of I am sure. The one that sticks in particular is that of footballers being yellow carded for taking off thier shirts during goal celebrations due to the advertising not being present, It speaks volumes and fills the reader with the ridiculous reach but serious impact that the advertising industry has over others. There is also a very informative diagram showing the effects of all the different outlets of the media industry breaking it down easily for the reader to disgest with the rest of the article.

1.1 Film - The film section of her blog post was strong and followed in the run of using interesting facts and examples to keep the reader interested. My pick of this was to find out the original surviving film was that of plates (I found this humbling for some reason). Again there was a flowchart that one could follow while reading this document to better punctuate her point. I feel there could have maybe been slightly more with the origins of the film industry where it spoke about the beggining then quite suddenly mid sentance we swithced to how we are today. ( but this is somewhat hypocritcal I feel).

1.2 This was on the subject of cross media ownership where she gave an example and an insight into advertising company Omnicomm which I have found out (due to mainly this article) is a massive megacorp of different advertising companies spewwing there marketing disguised as friendly advertsing which is probably in leagues with another micreant, particuarly one Rupert Murdoch and his Newscorp Empire, which is a good example for the everyman due to the news frenzy he has just endured. (another example of her great...examples and keeping her writing to a formulaic style) As well as mentioning his frightening impact on the politcal systems of different countries.

Overall it was a great look into the effects and structures of these two important empires and I even learnt some handy trivia to throw at people the next time I fall into myself and use interesting facts to convince people I have a soul.

More to come folks but my evening has slipped away from me for the time being. TOODLES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment